Sunday, April 24, 2016

Sundays at Starbucks

It's hard to imagine that I have been have #CreativeConversations every week since 2011.  At first our meetings were in person and they weren't necessarily weekly, but we did meet and when we did it was usually for more than an hour, but we got stuff done.  We wrote.  We chatted about writing.  It was glorious.  Then my "writing partner" (I love saying that, it makes me sound like a real writer) moved, yet we still met, thank goodness for the age of the internet and Skype.  We kept to our weekly schedule, only diverging from it when one of us was travelling or had a gig.  We were awesome. Although I don't think I've ever actually finished a piece of writing, I was writing for at lease 20 minutes on Sundays.  Which, when you think of it is kinda weird.  

We would start our calls with catching up on our week's and seeing what the other had accomplished (writing or not) and then do some sort of writing exercise that I had found or we would talk through any problems that came up for us, then we would write.  Skype windows open, each writing silently (or sometimes not depending what was on iTunes).  I would set my timer for 20 minutes and we would go.  I would usually distract myself with something else, saying I was doing research on the internet and then get caught up in the minute details, of say a name and it's origin, and before you knew it the timer would be going off.  Most days we agreed to go for another 15 minutes because "I just need to finish this brilliant thought", then the timer would ring again.  We would stop, feeling inspired and accomplished and read our latest masterpiece to each other.  No judgments or suggestions, just questions of what drew me in and what I wanted to know or about. 

Throughout the years, we have made moves and travelled, yet still met.  Our priorities have changed, yet I still revel in my now Sunday morning meetings that are set in my Google calendar with no ending date.  We don't write anymore, because some of our priorities have become clearer thanks to these meetings, but we meet none the less.  We celebrate each other's weekly accomplishments and keep fingers crossed for each other's amazing opportunities that are occuring that week.  

I found myself thinking deeply about this friendship this week and how fortunate I am.  I was thinking of friendships past and present and how they evolve.  How does one define a best friend and why?  I still consider my roommate from college my best friend, yet I haven't spoken to her in a year, except for the odd "LIKE" on Facebook and brief Messenger conversations.  I have to stop myself from sending buying those break-apart "best friend" novelty items, because I don't know our "BFF Status".  That was Best Friends Forever, wasn't it? 

Does that still make her my best friend?  I also still consider a friend from high school a very close friend, yet our relationship is even less than my best friend's.  Yet, I love my writing partner and have never thought of it as a best friendship, yet by my teen definition she would be. 

As an adult woman do you still have a bestie?  Let me know in the comments below.

'til next time