Thursday, October 9, 2014

Writing Prompt - My secret hideaway

10 minute Writing Prompt:  

Describe your favourite hideaway as a child 

I always wanted a hideaway.  I think I'd read too many young adult mystery books, you know Nancy Drew or those hot Hardy Boys and there was this kid's mystery show that played on PBS and they were always sleuthing and writing.  When I was 10, we moved into a brand new apartment building.  I say brand new because they had just finished building it and the parking lot wasn't even finished.  In a small town, it's nothing to have dirt roads on the outskirts of town.  Our new home was right on the edge.  On the way to the marina, as well as an abandoned mill, right next to the baseball field and tennis court.  My friend Joanne and I were walking in the dirt parking lot with a fresh pack of cigarettes we had just found.  They weren't even opened.  So we walked to this edge of the parking lot, that bordered the tennis courts.  There was a patch of rough ground that construction crews hadn't cleared completely.  We found an area that was perfect.  We could the cute boys house across the field, yet we were shielded enough with fallen trees and tall brush.  We hid our cigarettes here unsure of what to do.  We decided to wait until the next day, as we didn't have any matches or a lighter anyway.   We reveled in our new secret space.   Planning on our next day's adventure and that we would bring our lunch and maybe a blanket to cover the ground.  I was already picturing what adventures we could have and mysteries we could solve.  The sound of gravel crunching startled me from my plans.

Click here for the list of prompts in case you need some more.