Monday, October 6, 2014

Writing Prompt - Dear Pizza Man...

Today's prompt is "Dear Pizza Man,".

Here's what I came up with in 10 minutes. 

Dear Pizza Man, 

I think I love you.  I'm sure you hear that a lot, but please know that I am truly and deeply in love with you.  As I dial your number, I can feel my heart beating out of my chest, I can hardly hear the phone ringing on the other end.  A voice answers and it's not you.  I tell the voice all about how I dream of you and how I can't wait for your next visit.  He takes my message and ensures me that you'll be at my door in 45 minutes.
I hang up the phone and run to my room.  45 minutes!  I need to change.  Fix my hair.  Set the table.  I rifle through my closet.  Laying out several outfits, but opting for a bizzy pattern, lest things get crazy.  I run to the front window and watch as light from the street come through the haze of the sheer curtains.  I look down to my watch.  It's only been 20 minutes.  That can't be you.  I catch my breath.  I am on the edge of my seat as the car passes by.   It wasn't you.  I lie back on the couch and take a moment to remember the last time I saw you, so dapper and professional looking in your uniform.  I know you hate it when I call it that, but I think the colour of that delivery bag brings out the blue in your eyes.  Every time I hear the rip of Velcro I get goose bumps, and look around to see if you're near.  My dream is interrupted by the crunching of gravel outside.  I hear the familiar screech of your car as it comes to a stop.  Jump, jump, jump.  I need to get all this nervous energy out of me!  I do a little dance in the foyer, then peek out the side window as I hear your boots walk the steps to the door.  Doorbell.  I let out a quiet squeal as I compose myself.  I can smell you and I am happy.


Click here for the list of prompts in case you need some more.