Friday, August 22, 2014

Green curry with Udon

I love udon noodles! Every time I eat them, they bring me back to the first time I tried them. Hawaii. It's like a vacation in a bowl. I love pasta and I love soup. This is the perfect combination. Because udon is an Asian dish, I'm used to having it with miso and tofu, but when I saw this recipe, it made my mouth water. I love the creamy heat that curry brings to a dish and I needed to try it.

What are Udon noodles?  They are a type of thick wheat flour noodle of Japanese cuisine.
What is fish sauce? It is a Thai and Vietnamese sauce used as a flavoring or condiment, prepared from fermented anchovies and salt.


Ingredients:
Curry Paste:
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 cup basil leaves
2 tbsp fish sauce
3/4 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Amino (or soy sauce) 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp sugar
4 cloves of garlic
1 green Thai chili pepper
1" Fresh ginger, peeled 
1 stalk of sliced lemongrass
Juice from 1 lime
1 shallot, cut in half
4 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
2 fresh kaffir leaves
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 Chinese eggplant, diced,
16 oz. udon noodles
Salt and fresh pepper
1 tbsp oil

Directions

Place all ingredients for curry paste in food processor or blender.  Blend until a paste forms.
In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat.
Add curry paste and warm for 1 minutes.
Add stock and kaffir leaves.
Bring to a boil.
Turn down heat and simmer mixture for 10 minutes.
Add bell pepper, eggplant and the remaining coconut milk (1/2 cup) and cook until vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
While your waiting, cook noodles in salted boiling water until desired tenderness (al dente)
Drain. Rinse.
Place noodles in a bowl, with a hefty spoonful of curry sauce.

Stay hungry my friend!