Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Black Bean and Quinoa Burger

If I could eat hamburgers everyday, I would.  I mean I could, but that doesn't sound very healthy.   So, on a recent meatless Monday, I thought it an appropriate reason to try this recipe out.  P2 wasn't very gung-ho on trying these, but we'll see.  After these were cooked, I let them cool, wrapped each one in wax paper and plastic wrap and froze them.  I ate them as a late night snack, or when I came in after a late night at the theater.  I popped them in the microwave for 1 minute and ate with some of my homemade salsa.  Perfect!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of quinoa, cooked
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
2-15oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. steak seasoning
1 tsp. olive oil
Directions:
Place oil in a pan, add onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat.
Stir in 1/2 a can of black beans, garlic, steak seasoning and 1 1/2 cup of water.
Simmer 9-11 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Add quinoa.
Take your potato masher and mash the mixture to desired consistency.
I like mine a bit chunky, but if you want you can also place your mixture in a food processor until smooth.
Preheat oven to 350 F.  Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Shape bean mixture into hockey puck sized patties.
Place on baking sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes on each side, until patties are crisp on top.
Chow down!

Stay hungry my friend!