Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Homemade Dill Pickles

It's that time of year again. I've eaten through my pickle stash from last summer. Recently at Vallarta, they had giant pickling cucumbers on sale, so I knew it was time. This is a different recipe than last year.    My last pickles were a bit soft and not as crunchy as I wanted. I may have also had to do with the types of cucumbers I used. Because it was my first time, I used both pickling cucumbers and Persian cucumbers.  This time I used tiny baby pickles I found at the 99 cent store. Can't wait to taste them.

In case you need a refresher on how to prepare the jars.

Ingredients:
15 cloves of garlic
15 fresh dill heads
4 lbs small cucumbers (3"-4" long)
6 cups of water
4 1/2 cups white vinegar
6 tbsp canning salt
3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Directions:
Place 5 garlic clove halves and five dill heads in each of prepared jar.
Pack cucumbers into jars within 1/2" of the top.
In a large pot, bring the water, vinegar, salt and pepper flakes to a boil.
Ladle hot liquid over cucumbers, leave 1/2" headspace.
Top each jar with 1 or 2 cloves and a few sprigs of dill.
Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids.
Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water.


Stay hungry my friend!