Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Venison Steak Diane

I have a freezer full of venison and I don't know what to do with it.  I have eaten enough pan-fried meat, that my taste buds are tired.  P2 and I found Steak Diane while out a local pub one night and it was the special.  I'm not a big meat eater, but put a tasty sauce on anything and I'm in love.

Venison Steak Diane

Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb venison
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup brandy
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
  • 1 shallot
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp mustard
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • salt
  • minced herbs for garnish
Directions
  1. Let venison sit at room temperature, at least 20 minutes.
  2. Heat the butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat for about 90 seconds, being careful not to burn it.
  3. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until a brown crust forms. Do not overcook or the venison will become hard.
  4. Remove from pan and cover.
  5. Add shallots to the saute pan and cook for 1 minute, then add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
  6. De-glaze the pan with the brandy.
  7. Let the brandy cook down almost to a glaze, then add the beef stock, tomato paste, mustard and Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine.
  8. Let this boil down for about 3 minutes, turn off heat.
  9. Once the boiling has stopped, stir in the cream until the sauce is as light as you like.
  10. Slice the meat and drizzle with sauce.
  11. Garnish with chopped herbs.

Stay hungry my friend!