Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Too spicy chicken drumsticks

With a 1/2 a bottle of Sriracha that's been hanging around in the fridge for who knows long, I decided it was time to use it.  Even though I almost scorched my tongue the last time, I thought it was high time to try again.  Thinking "it's from a reputable publication, surely it can't be that bad".   Famous last words I guess.  I followed the recipe as written, and then after tasting it, modified it, as well as added substitutes to try and counteract the heat.  No luck.  So be warned, this recipe is SPICY.    So for now the Sriracha is gone, my tongue has cooled and we'll chalk this one up to a really good try.
 
**Warning** HOT HOT HOT! 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup Sriracha
1/2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1/4 cup sweet vermouth
1/2 cup raspberry jelly
12 large chicken drumsticks
Directions:
Bring Sriracha, rice vinegar, vermouth and jelly to a boil in a heavy saucepan over high heat.
Reduce heat to a simmer, until the mixture is thick and reduced to 3/4 cup (about 10 minutes).
Place drumsticks in a large bowl and a season generously with salt.
Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
At this point you can roast the drumsticks in the oven (preheat oven to 450, turning frequently until skin is brown and crisp, 50-60 minutes). 
I barbecued mine.  Cook until crispy. 
Combine hot drumsticks and 1/4 cup sauce in a large bowl.
Return to oven or BBQ and roast, turning once, until the skin is crisp and sauce is beginning to brown, 8-9 minutes. 
Brush with additional sauce. 
Be sure to serve with a side of sauce if you like it hot.
What I did to combat the heat (and it was STILL HOT):
added salt
added more jelly
added more vinegar
added more vermouth
 
Stay hungry my friend.