Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pickled Garlic

I love GARLIC.  There.  I said it.  I love it so much, that I need P2 to taste things sometimes, because I usually double whatever the recipe says.  So in this recipe is perfect.  It's just garlic.  My love of canned garlic came when I went to The Olive Pit and their tasting station.  At first I thought "what the heck?" a whole clove? really?  But once I bit it to that magical goodness, I was in love.  So this is my attempt at pickling garlic. 

Ingredients:
12 heads garlic
2-1/2 cups white vinegar
1 cup dry white wine
1 tbsp pickling salt
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp dried oregano (or dried basil or dried thyme)












Directions:
Separate the garlic into cloves.
Blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds. Immediately immerse in cold water; drain and peel.
In a saucepan, bring vinegar, wine, pickling salt, sugar and oregano to boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add garlic; stir constantly for 1 minute.
Spoon garlic and 1 chili pepper each into prepared** canning jars, leaving 3/4-inch headspace.
Pour in hot liquid to cover garlic, leaving 1/2-inch  headspace.
Seal with prepared discs and bands.
Process in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

**Note: Use directions for canning that comes with your canning equipment.
Stay hungry my friend!