Thursday, December 8, 2011

Crab Cakes

Another over zealous trip to Costco contributed to this recipe.  One person can only eat so much chunks of imitation crab meat and I really enjoy ordering crab cakes when I'm out to dinner, but I've always felt that if I would try to make them they would fall apart.  So what better way to see if that would happen, than to actually make them. 

Ingredients:
¾ cup cracker crumbs
¾ cup bread crumbs or panko
½ pound crab meat
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp water ¼ tsp salt
2 egg whites

Dipping sauce:
1 tbsp of hot sauce
1 tbsp Dijon-style mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup nonfat mayonnaise
1 tbsp minced green onions

Directions:
Coarsely chop the crab meat.
Combine all the dry ingredients first and then add in the wet ones.
Blend well and then flake in the crab meat.
Form into 6 crab cakes, place in plate and cover with plastic wrap.
Refrigerate for an hour, then take out and let sit for 5 minutes.
Lightly oil a skillet and place on medium heat.
Add crab cakes and fry for 6 minutes on each side.
Serve with a dollop of dressing.


These were a huge success and I would definitely make them again!
Stay hungry my friend.