Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Spinach and chickpea soup

Sometimes I get a bit overzealous and buy too many vegetables and to make things worst, I then over plan week and will have no time to cook.  So with 3-lbs of spinach quickly wilting away, I needed to do something fast.  Using this recipe, I made it a bit moare hearty and added more spinach, I used up a substantial amount of spinach, so stay tuned for what I do with the rest of the green stuff.  It give a nice weight to the soup and the chickpeas offer a starchy taste, which is good when I'm craving carbs!  I'm also a fan of hot and spicy, so I added a bit too much sriracha (hot sauce), so my small recipe ended up double because I had to water the heat down.   Because I love to make my own stock, I have a variety of frozen stock in the freezer.  For this recipe I used some turkey stock (that I made from Thanksgiving bones) and some homemade onion soup from earlier, which cut the heat of the hot sauce nicely, because the onion soup had a sweetness of too many onions.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic clove, crushed
28 oz. can pureed tomatoes
28 oz. can chickpea
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
3 cups spinach leaves
6 cups soup stock (vegetable or chicken)
1/2 teaspoon of sriracha
Salt and Pepper

Directions:
Heat oil in a large saucepan.
Add garlic until soft, about 1 minute.
Add the pureed tomatoes and soup stock and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat  and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the chickpeas and vinegar.
Add a sriracha to taste.  Be careful, a little goes a long way.
Stir in spinach and season to taste.
Cook just until the spinach begins to wilt.
Serve hot!

Stay hungry my friend!