Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich

I was a little sceptical when I came upon this recipe because I couldn't fathom mixing my beloved grilled cheese with those spicy appetizers.  I only wish I'd bought more peppers.  I was also worried about the heat from the peppers, but when the cheese and kefir melt, it cools the heat of the jalapeno.

Ingredients
1 jalapeno peppers, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
2 slices sour dough bread
1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
2 tablespoon kefir, room temperature
2 slices of Jarlsberg cheese
Panini grill or sandwich maker

Directions
Use caution when roasting the peppers.  I roasted the pepper over the open flame of my gas stove until the skin became black.  Remove the skin from the peppers.  Cut the top and bottom of the pepper, then one slit lengthwise.  Remove ribs and seeds and flatten.  You should have a rectangle shaped pepper.
On one slice of bread spread the kefir, top with pepper, then cheese.
Grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted.

If you'd like to see where I got the idea, please visit Closet Cooking.  He's got some great things to try!
Stay hungry my friend!