Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chicken Empanadas

Quick food that I can hold in my hand are my perfect food.  I've always wanted to make "hot pocket" type food, but was intimidated by the crust.  That was until I found these empanada wrappers at my local grocery store in the frozen food section.  I've tried using pre-made wrappers before and have never been let down.  I wasn't expecting the stickiness of the dough as they cooked.  These wrappers were a puffed pastry shell and I've never used them before.  Next time I try these I think I'll make my own dough. 


Ingredients:
12 gyoza* wrappers

Filling:
1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast
4 tablespoons chopped green onions
1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
egg white

Sauce:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tsp srirancha
1 tbs chives

Direction:
Place oil in a medium pan on high heat, place chicken in pan and cook through.  Remove chicken from heat and chop into bite size pieces.
In pan, heat oil and garlic.  Place mushroom and onions until brown.  Add chicken until warm.
Place 1 level tablespoon potsticker filling in the center of a wrapper.
Moisten the edges with water and fold wrapper in half to form a moon shape. Pinch the seam to seal the wrapper shut. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers.
Place formed dumplings on a baking sheet and cover loosely with a damp paper towel while you form the remaining dumplings.
Brush each dumpling with egg whites. 
Cook for 10 minutes or until one side is cooked, then turn and repeat.

For the sauce: Place the soy sauce and srirancha in a bowl and whisk together. Garnish with fresh chives.

Here's a different recipe to try: Chicken Potstickers with Chili Mint Sauce.


Stay hungry my friend!