Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cheesy Brussel Sprouts

While on a recent trip to Costco, looking for celery, I came upon a 2 pound bag of Brussel Sprouts in the refrigerated section.   Since I was trying to increase my greens intake, I couldn't resist.  Full of vitamin C, protein and fiber, I wondered what to make with these tiny heads.  Since Piggy2 is not a fan of brussel sprouts, I needed to find a recipe that included cheese, since no one can resist cheese.

Ingredients:
2 lb Brussel sprouts
1 small white onion
3 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of chopped garlic
1/4 cup of fresh Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Place sprouts in pot and cover with water.  Bring to boil and sprouts are tender.  Drain water.
In a separate pan, melt butter and add garlic and onions.  Saute 2-3 minutes  (I like my onions still al dente, so I cook them until warm and fragrant)
Add sprouts to pan and cook for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and sprinkle cheese over sprouts.
Cover pan with lid for a few minutes to melt cheese.
Remove cover, stir and serve immediately.
Stay hungry my friend!