Tuesday, April 5, 2011

How we met


He walked in the lobby shaking the rain off his ski jacket. That’s how I remember it.  That’s how he walked into my life.  Bastard.

The memories are still so fresh.  Why won’t you just go away? 

I remember the day like it was yesterday.  It was a drizzly fall morning:  he walked into the lobby and wow.  Tall, dark and handsome, not normally my type, but this was different.  I don’t know why, but it was.  Damn him!

And then I just let him walk right out.  What was I thinking?  Why didn’t I run after him?  “Accidentally bump” into him?  Ahhhhh!  So I pathetically went back to the lobby every day in the hopes of meeting him.  Nothing.  So I did, what every girl would do, I called my boyfriend, because I was lonely. 

But I could not get the tall stranger out of my head.  And when you think about something hard enough, it usually comes true.  It was midterms and it was time to let off excess energy with my sorority sisters at the Alpha.  God I loved to dance.  Any song that the DJ played, we were on the dance floor.  The bass was so heavy; you could feel the thump in your chest.   It was always crazy in there; it was definitely no place to have a meaningful conversation.  And then when you least expect it, it always happens, I look up and see a group of “townies” walked in.  And there he was, same ‘ol silly grin towering above the crowd.  I would not let opportunity walk out my door again. 

But dammit, I should have.  What was I thinking?  This will only lead to heartache and despair.  Stupid girl.