Friday, April 8, 2011

Chickpea Curry

Lately I've been on a curry kick. First buying the pre-made curry pastes at Trader Joe's and Fresh and Easy, but now I want to make my own. In an effort to eat better, I need to include more vegetables in my diet and more than just a handful of baby carrots and celery sticks, so I bought a vegetarian cook book, Vegetarian Cooking (Commonsense Guide), which I found on the clearance shelf, but I absolutely love.  This is my first try.  I substituted some of the ingredients, such as using vegetable oil instead of ghee, as well as using a red onion instead of 2 white onions (this certainly cured my sweet tooth, as the cooked red onion added a sweetness).
Chickpea Curry

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 onions, finely sliced, one yellow, one red
4 tablespoon of chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 29oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 29oz. can of chopped tomatoes

Optional
1 teaspoon garam masala**

Directions:
Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan. Saute the onion and garlic over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened.
Add the chili powder, salt, turmeric, paprika, cumin and coriander and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
Stir in the chickpeas and tomato, then cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

If using Garam Masala, stir in and cover and simmer for further 10 minutes.
Serve hot.

*What is Ghee?
Ghee is a clarified butter without any solid milk particles or water. Ghee is used in India and throughout the South Asia in daily cooking. A good quality ghee adds a great aroma, flavor and taste to the food.

**What is Garam Masala?
Garam Masala is a basic blend of ground spices common in Indian and some South Asian dishes.  You can buy it and if you fall in love with it, you can make your own:

Garam Masala
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon cardamom pods
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 small cinnamon stick, crushed

Put all spices in a dry frying pan and shake over medium heat for 1 minute or until fragrant.  Transfer to a spice grinder or blender and crush to a fine powder.


Stay hungry my friend.