Thursday, January 27, 2011

Shaken not stirred...martini porkchops

If you hadn't noticed, a lot of the recipe I post have to do with what I have on hand.  With money tight, I try not to go out and have to buy extras.  I say this, but Piggy2 has the habit of stocking up, and I should say Squirrel instead of Piggy2.  So sometimes my recipes will be items, that not everyone will have on hand.  I'm assuming today's recipe is one such thing.  I'm making it, because I have a full bottle of vermouth lying around and am not big on martinis, so I found this recipe to use up the excess.

Ingredients:
2 (1 to 1 1/2-inch thick) pork chops
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 red onion, minced
1/2 to 3/4 cup vermouth

Directions:
Loosely wrap the pork chops in plastic wrap.
With a meat mallet, pound pork chops until they are a 1/4".
Remove plastic wrap and sprinkle the pork chops with coarse salt and some pepper.
On high heat, heat olive oil in a large skillet.  Sear pork chops until brown on both sides, about 3 minutes each.  Reduce heat and cook about 6 more minutes (depending on thickness of chop) until meal is cooked through.
Remove from pork chops from pan and drain off excess fat.
Return the pan to heat, adding the minced onions.  Cook until soft.
Next, add the vermouth, scraping up all the browny bits from the bottom of the pan.
Let simmer for 1 or 2 minutes, reducing slightly.
Serve the pork chops on a warm platter with the sauce drizzled over top.

Stay hungry my friend!