Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Fortified Wine

When I think of port, I would think of old dockworkers standing around a barrel only lit by the light of a candle that's sticking out of an old chianti bottle.   To me port was an old man's sipping drink. 
Port is a fortified wine originating from northern Portugal.  Fortified wine is wine that has additional alcohol added to it. (regular table wine has an alcohol content from 12 -14%).  Port is made my adding grape brandy to the wine as it is fermenting.

But while looking for wine accessories in after Christmas sales, I found these interesting glasses for port.  (Click Wine Enthusiast for more info).  Considering it is something that should be sipped, this give the usual plastic straw a creative twist.
Fortified wine makes me think of winos and cheap booze.  It doesn't bring to mind port or vermouth.  Yes, vermouth.  While learning about wine, I discovered that vermouth is just fortified wine and not a liquor like I thought it was.  It's flavored with aromatic herbs and spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, marjoram and chamomile.

Stay thirsty my friend!