Monday, December 6, 2010

Apples and Cheese

I really like pairing apples and cheese, usually just cheddar and fuji apples.  I'm not quite adventurous enough for ricotta and gorgonzola.  But these fun little amuse-bouche are from a friends party I attended over the weekend.  My fabulous epicurean friend is always finding the most intriguing recipes.  I loved helping, since I had a helper who was doing all the chopping and toasting, all I had to do was put all the ingredients together.  I felt like a chef!

Instructions
1 15-oz. carton whole milk ricotta cheese
6 oz. Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1/2 tsp. snipped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1/4 tsp. snipped fresh rosemary or 1/8 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1 Tbsp. honey
36 toasted baguette slices
Sliced apples, fresh thyme, and/or toasted walnuts
Honey

Directions
Place ricotta in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
Stir in Gorgonzola, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon rosemary until combined.
Fold in 1 tablespoon honey until just combined. Spoon mixture into a serving bowl.
Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours. Makes 36 appetizer servings.
When you're ready for the party, spread the cheese mixture on spread on baguette slices and top with apple slices.  To help the walnuts stick, drizzle honey on the apples and top with walnuts.

Stay hungry my friend!