Monday, November 29, 2010

Crock pot pork chops

When I found this recipe I thought it a little intimidating.  Who puts mushroom soup (a creamy earthy base) with the spiciness of Dijon mustard and red onion.  "What had I done?" I thought as I coated the potatoes.  Then I placed all the ingredients in the pot and started to let it simmer.  After about two hours, I couldn't resist but peeking in the pot for a tasting.  The juices from the cooking pork chops were oozing into the soup base and I took a deep inhale of the peppery mixture.  I dipped my spoon in and was pleasantly surprised.  I think I've outdone myself this time.

Ingredients:
6 -8 boneless pork chops (I only used 4, they were really thick at least 1")
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup country Dijon-style mustard
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 garlic clove, minced (I used 1 1/2 tables spoons of pre-chopped garlic)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6 potatoes, sliced (I used 7, they were small and I thinly sliced them)
1 onion (I used a red onion, my fave)

Directions:
In skillet, brown pork chops on both sides in hot oil. Drain fat. 
In your crock pot, mix soup, chicken broth, mustard, thyme, garlic, and pepper. 
Add potatoes and onion, stirring to coat.
Place browned pork chops on tops of potato mixture.
Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High 4 to 5 hours.
Plate and serve.

Stay hungry, my friend!
 
Modified from Food.com (Manuel's Crock Pot Pork Chops and Potatoes in Mustard Sauce)