Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pepper loaf

Wednesday is the day of the week, that you're just running out of fresh groceries from your weekend shopping run and you're trying to use everything up before you absolutely have to back to the grocery store.  At least that's how it is in my household.  This week I had some red bell peppers that I had to use, as well as some ground beef.  I'd never made meatloaf before, but I really wanted to try and make stuffed peppers.  So I compromised and found a recipe entitled "Pan Fried Meatloaf in Tricolor Peppers".  I kinda followed it, below is my version of it.   For as much cheese as I put in the recipe, it wasn't very cheesy, but it was very juicy thanks to the chiles and tomatoes.

Ingredients

3 bell pepper
1 pound ground beef
24 "saltine" crackers crushed
1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil
1 (8-ounce) can diced green chiles
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 cup of fresh grated hard cheese
1 egg
A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
A few dashes hot sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon oil
fresh basil leaves



Directions

In a large bowl mix together beef, crackers, 1/2 can of the tomatoes, 1/2 can of green chiles, garlic, cheese, egg, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and season with salt and pepper.
Remove core and seeds from peppers.
Slice into 1 inch rings and place on nonstick baking sheet. You should get about 3 rings per pepper.  Press meatloaf mixture evenly into pepper rings.
In a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil.
Saute meatloaf rings on both sides until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
Reduce heat, add remaining tomatoes and chiles to skillet and bake until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
Plate with some fresh basil and enjoy!

Stay Hungry my friend!