Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Liver and Onions mmmmmm!!!!

Just saying that elicits ewwwwws and icks galore.  But to me, those two words sounds like buttery goodness and make my mouth water and my nose tingle.  I can smell the onions in the air and hear the sizzle of the liver.  I need to cook this when there is no one else in the house, as I am the only one who likes it.  It brings me back to my grandmother's kitchen and Sunday dinners.  

While having dinner with a friend, I was reminded about how gross liver was, it does after all filter all the yuck out of your body I was told.  I countered that it was full of nutrients that the body needs and dismissed again. 

What I should've said was: "Yes the liver is always working to screen out impurities, it turns them into molecules that can be dissolved in water, so they can be easily flushed by your kidneys and excreted from your body, so no, nothing is "stored" in your liver to make it toxic.  The liver does however keep the good stuff (i.e. vitamins vitamins A, D, E, K, B12 and folic acid, and minerals such as copper and iron)."

So I can't understand why, in this oh so health conscious, hope in a pill society we live in, that people would be dismissive about liver.  I even looked for recipes on how to cook it, and most of them involved making a pate or mousse (which will be a whole other blog entry).  So I've resulted in grandma's recipe, nice and simple.

LIVER AND ONIONS

1/2 pound sliced liver
1/3 c flour
Salt and pepper to taste
butter
2 cups white or yellow onions
1 T olive oil

1.Rinse liver and pat dry.
2.In a deep dish or bowl mix flour, salt, and pepper.
3.Place liver in flour mix, cover each slice with flour.
4.In a heavy skillet over high flame, melt butter and saute the liver, flipping as necessary. Cook for about 5-10 minutes, until liver is just cooked through.
5.In a separate pan, heat olive oil, and saute onions until caramelized and soft.
6.Serve liver hot covered with onions.
Stay hungry my friend!