Monday, January 5, 2015

How to start a blog on Blogger

I have been harping to my younger sister for ages now that she needs to do something (like get a job).  She has a Tumblr account, but it's not doing much for her.  So when I called home for Christmas to check in, I gave her yet another one of my "big sister" speeches.  She is by all definitions a "Millenial" but not that motivated to use technology.  So I am making this for her.  She hates me right now for telling you all this, but it's all here for you, when you're ready PB.

Start building your Empire!

  1. Pick a blog name - one that you'll be able to live with when it goes viral.  I suggest blogger, because you can more bells and whistles to it.  It is also a part of the Google universe so you can do so much more with.  This will also be your new email address, so think of a "brand" name you want to create for yourself.  Also check that the domain is available.  Try these sites to see if your new name is being used NameChk, KnowEm, or Name Checklist

  2. Pick a basic template - again, we just need to get started.  So pick one of the Blogger options and settle in.  Once you've gotten a few blog posts under your belt, you can do a search on Etsy and find a blog template there for you.  Services range from the template, to others who will install it for you.  

  3. Set up Google Tools -  things like Analytics, Feedburner, Webmaster Tools, URL Shortener

  4. START WRITING.  Sure make your blog looks cute and all, but seriously, a million people are not reading it, so get over your bad self.  Make it good stuff, try your hardest, but know that you are still learning and some things will suck and it's OK.  It only gets better.
To think about:
  • Keep a blog roll of other people in your niche that you are following.
  • Use photos - your own are good, but borrow if you need to
  • SEO - Search Engine Optimization
  • Consider adding some Pages to the top of your blog.  About Me.  Contact. Resources
  • Add links to your social media links
Come back soon, I'll be posting some hints for my sister on how she can help promote her blog and connect with others.  My hope for her is she can learn from Cassie Ho's Blogilates empire.

Now get out there and start blogging.    Let me know what your blog is, I'd love to check it out!

Happy Writing!