Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Kale and Red Lentil Soup

The beginning of the year brings me a cold and achy feelings, as well as a craving for soup.  I've had some dry red lentils in the cupboard for quite some time now, and I just need to get rid of them.  With all this crazy talk about healthy living that the new year brings, as well as an unhealthy obsession with kale, I thought I would kill a few birds with one recipe.  Having no patience and 

I wanted soup right away and didn't want to wait 24 hours to soak the beans, so I tried to a quick soak:

Quick soak dry beans:
Place beans in a large pot and cover with 2 to 3 inches of cool, clean water.
Bring to a boil then boil briskly for 2 to 3 minutes.
Cover and set aside off of the heat for 1 hour; drain well.

But if you have more patience or a bit more of a planner (I promise to get better this year) than me:
Regular soak dry beans:
Place beans in a large bowl and cover with 2 to 3 inches of cool, clean water.
Set aside at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight; drain well.
If your kitchen is warm, place the beans in the refrigerator to avoid fermentation.

Now on to the recipe.

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped carrots 1/2 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 cup french green lentils, rinsed
28 ounces canned chopped tomatoes
2 sprigs thyme
1 sprig rosemary
2 cups chopped kale
1 tbsp olive oil



Directions:
Heat oil over medium heat in a heavy pot, add carrots and onion. Add a pinch of salt.
Cook for 5 minutes, or until desired tenderness (I don't like mushy carrots).
Add tomatoes, lentils, 2 cups of water and 2 cups of chicken broth.
Add thyme and rosemary.
Bring to a boil, and lower heat to a simmer.
Cook until lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Add more water if neccessary.
When lentil are tender, add the kale and cook until tender.

Stay hungry!