Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Coconut Milk Corned Beef

 I love me some corned beef.  I am always looking for new ways to cook it.   Luckily I had a can of coconut milk kicking around and I love the flavour of it when mixed with curry.

Ingredients: 

4 pounds beef brisket
4 cups water
1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
2 tablespoons tomato paste*
1 tablespoon fish sauce

2 teaspoons curry
2 bay leaves
1 onion, cut into large chunks
1 sml pkg baby carrots1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks


Directions:
Place brisket, fat-side up, in the bottom of large pot.
Stir in water, coconut milk, tomato paste, fish sauce, curry  and bay leaves.
Bring to a boil and skim off any foam that accumulates.
Stir in onion and carrots.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 3 hours, turning once.

Stir in potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes.
Transfer beef to a plate; thinly slice across the grain. Ladle potato cabbage mixture into bowls and top with sliced beef.

* I didn't have any tomato paste, so I used ketchup instead.


Stay hungry my friend!