Thursday, August 15, 2013

Minty Simple Syrup

P2 bought way too much mint and I couldn't make enough tea to keep up.  I'd been looking at simple syrup recipes and thought a minty one would taste great.  Again, though, I don't drink tea, so what would I use this for after it was made.  I found the perfect drink.  Margaritas!  I like to make margaritas with Crystal Light (less sugar) but then of course, I added sugar to it by adding this syrup.  It gave the drink a bit more depth and a tiny bit of sugar.    

Ingredients:

1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups water
A bunch of mint

Directions:
Stir together in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Add the mint and let steep for 30 minutes.  The longer it steeps, the more flavour.
Stain the bits.
Let cool and transfer to a bottle.
Chill until ready to use.



Don't be afraid to experiment with other herbs, like basil, thyme, rosemary, lavender buds (make sure you buy culinary lavender or use homegrown without pesticides), organic edible flowers, slices of fresh ginger, whole spices, etc.

Stay thirsty my friend!