Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Homemade Dill Pickle Relish

I have finally run out my relish that I made last year and I am ready for more.  This recipe proved a bit less liquidy than the one I made last year.


Ingredients:
4 lbs of pickling cucumbers
1/4 cup sea salt
1 tsp curry
2 cups of water
1/2 lb of yellow onions
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp chopped dill weed
2 cups vinegar
2 cups chopped red and yellow bell pepper



Directions:
Wash cucumbers and chop into small pieces.
Place the chopped cukes in a colander over another bowl.
Toss with salt, let stand with 24 hours (this process allows the water to drain from the cukes)
Chop onion in small pieces.
Drain the cucumbers and rinse under cold water.  Drain and rinse again.
In a large pot, combine cucumbers, onions, bell pepper, sugar, dill, curry and white vinegar.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer ten minutes.Ladle the hot relish into your sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Stay hungry my friend!