Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Week 2

Welcome to "There is no I in Indian" a new play by Jennifer Bobiwash. 
 
Well, I survived my first night of class.  Collecting my pile of notes and scraps of paper that I have written ideas and thoughts on, made me feel overwhelmed.  This story that I have been threatening to write for years now will finally see the light of day.   I have signed up for a one-person show class, whose goal it is to actually have a finished product at the end of the six months.   But walking into class last night, I felt nothing.  I should have felt overwhelmed with the prospect of the task ahead, but instead I felt indifferent.  Students filed in with their work for this week.  I had nothing.  I had read that I was supposed to have three pages written, but I wasn't about to sit down and write something when I had no idea on which direction I was heading.  Instead I improved for 30 minutes on what I was feeling this week.  It was an enlightening experience, considering no in class had heard my stuff before.  Each found it compelling and wanted to know more.  The teacher then asked if I had my music ready.  My music?  Whaa???  Sure.  I'm sure I have something on my computer.  The piece of music was supposed to be the sound of your play.  I know what it should sound like, but that's not what I want it to feel.  It's a very specific piece of writing, and the music is thus, very specific.  But as I stood on stage "feeling" the music, I felt nothing.  I lied and said what it should be feeling in an attempt for  me to come to a decision on what the heck I am writing about. 
I left class with a vague notion on how to continue.  JUST WRITE.  We'll figure it out.  Ok, but in three weeks, I need a first draft. 
 
Things I did today:
  • wrote in my journal
  • started/continued this blog in preparation for the future of the play
So with this in mind, I have to journal everyday. 
 
I guess I'll be doing a lot of writing!