Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Balsamic Beets

Always looking for another way to cook beets, as well as a way to use my crockpot, this recipe sounded adventurous.  I bought these beets with the hope of the colours when you cut into the beet, but the beauty was lost.  I was hesitant to make, yet another, pickled product (see my relish, pickled carrots, pickled garlic, mustard, pickled cukes recipes) but the flavour was very mild and made the beets tender.  Will definitely try again!
Balsamic Beets

Ingredients
  • 4 medium beets
  • 3 cups water (or enough to cover the beets)
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 bay leaf
 
Directions
  1. Peel beets and place in crockpot.
  2. Add water, vinegar, and bay leaf.
  3. Cover and cook on low until the beets are tender. 6 to 8 hours.
  4. Discard the bay leaf.
  5. Drain and slice beets.
Stay hungry my friend!