Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Crockpot BBQ pulled pork

Lately I have been craving pulled pork.  Why?  I wish I knew, but with a pork loin in the freezer, I figured I may as well try something new.   The recipe says to mix both pork and sauce, but I kept them separate (I'm weird like that).  I enjoyed using the BBQ sauce for dipping, that way I could double up on the sauce and when all the pork was gone, I still had some sauce left over to use for something else.  I may have to enter those BBQ sauce contests you see on the travel channel.  Now all I need to do is perfect my bbqing skills.

Ingredients:

Sauce Ingredients
3 to 4 lb. pork roast
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp seasoned salt
2 dashes hot pepper sauce
1/3 cup  apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup water

Thickening agents:
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp cold water
Directions:
Rinse pork roast in cool water, and pat dry with paper towels.
Add 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar to bottom of slow cooker pot.
Mix everything except the cornstarch and cold water in a separate bowl and pour over roast.
Cover and cook 6 hours on high temperature (or 12 hours on low).
Check for doneness.
Remove pork roast to a large bowl and pull apart with two forks until it is finely shredded.
In a small prep bowl, add 2 Tbsp water to 1 Tbsp cornstarch and mix until smooth.
Add cornstarch mixture to BBQ sauce in pot, whisking until well integrated.
Continue to whisk until sauce thickens slightly. (Repeat cornstarch process for thicker sauce.)
Add shredded pork back into BBQ sauce in the pot.
Grab your favorite buns and scoop out some pork.
Serve immediately.
Stay hungry my friend!