Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Happy Feet or Eggs en Cocotte

When I found this recipe I was exstatic, finally something I can use my ramekins for.  Little did I realize what I was making, I should've read more.  Oeufs en Cocotte, or Eggs en Cocotte, are simply baked eggs.  There are many ways to prepare this recipe.  Variations include placing the cheese in the bottom of the ramekin, before cracking the eggs, adding bits of bacon or ham, or add 2 tablespoons of cream on top before you place them in the over.
I baked mine, by simply placing them in the over, but many of the recipes mention placing the ramekins in a boiling water bath while they cook in the over.

I'm calling this recipe Happy Feet, because of the cheese used.  Because if you've never had gruyere, you're in for a bit of a chalky, smelly surprise.   To me, a smell akin to smelly socks, but once cooked the cheese is a bit smoother, hence the name Happy Feet.

Gruyere is a Swiss cheeses and is made from cow's milk and has a nutty, slightly sweet taste with complex musty and mushroomy notes.  Gruyere is delicious when used in a fondue. Pair this cheese with a Champagne, Syrah, or even Zinfandel.

Ingredients:
Little Butter for ramekin
2 Eggs
2 oz Gruyere Cheese - grated
Salt & Pepper
1 tsp chives for garnish

Directions:
Preheat oven for 375 F Butter a small oven proof ramekin.
Crack the 2 eggs into the ramekin, be careful not to break the yolks.
Top it with the Gruyere cheese
Add salt & pepper to taste and place in the oven
Bake approx. for 15 minutes, longer if you don't want them as runny.
Remove from oven and serve with crusty toast points.

Alternative baking instructions:
Place all of the ramekins in an ovenproof casserole, carefully pour boiling water so that it reaches a half to two-thirds up the sides of the ramekins.  Take the casserole and place it carefully, uncovered in teh preheated oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, until the white is set but the yolk is still hot and runny.
Stay hungry my friend!