Thursday, September 8, 2011

Fresh Salsa or Pico de Gallo

My latest food kick is eating raw food.  I tried this once before and enjoyed it thoroughly.  Thinking that  summer is the best time to go raw, fresh fruit and veggies abound, at a reasonable price.  I wait for the pile of sale on Tuesday from local grocery stores to scour the deals then I head out.  Usually from the big three, Vons, Albertsons and Ralphs, but I do also frequent local ethnic stores, like Golden Farms and Vallarta.  I even hit up the 99 Cent Only Store's produce section.
Fresh Salsa is not only for chips, I've found it a nice topper for salad instead of dressing.  I'm always looking for new ways to enjoy raw food.

Ingredients
5 medium sized fresh Roma tomatoes, stems removed, finely diced
1/2 red onion, finely diced (I used white because I needed to used them)
1 jalapeño chili pepper (stems, ribs, seeds removed), finely diced
Juice of one lime
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Use caution when preparing chilies.
Save a few seeds, if the salsa isn't hot enough, you can add a few for heat.
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
If the chilies make the salsa too hot, add some more chopped tomato.

If not hot enough, carefully add a few of the seeds from the chilies, or add some ground cumin.
Let sit for an hour for the flavors to combine.

Stay hungry my friend!