Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Crockpot Reuben

My freezer is full of frozen hunks of corned beef brisket that I bought during St. Patrick's Day grocery sales. So instead of just cooking it in the over, like I usually do, I wanted to try something different. Because I love me some corned beef sandwiches, as well as sauerkraut (if you hadn't noticed from previous recipes), I thought this was a perfect recipe (minus the salad dressing).  So know you can you always add it to the recipe.

Ingredients:
3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
1 jar (16-ounce size) sauerkraut, drained
1/2 cup bottled Thousand Island salad dressing (optional)
16 slices rye swirl bread, toasted
8 ounces sliced Swiss cheese

Directions:
Trim fat from meat.
Place meat in cooker.
Sprinkle with spices from packet.
Spread sauerkraut over the brisket.
Be sure there's a bit of liquid in the bottom.  If not, add a 1/2 cup of beer. (or water) 
OPTIONAL - Drizzle the 1/2 cup salad dressing over all.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 3 hours.
Thinly slice meat against the grain and dip the meat in the cooking liquid to add some flava!
Spoon the corned beef and sauerkraut onto the toasted bread, add a slice of cheese and top with the other slice of toasted bread.  You can add additional salad dressing if you want.

Stay hungry my friend!