Thursday, May 26, 2011

Creamy Broccoli Potato Soup

In an effort to eat more vegetables, I got a little over zealous and bought way too many vegetables.  The large head of broccoli kept staring at me everytime I opened the fridge.  Finally it was getting late and I knew too soon it would be going bad, but I couldn't bring myself to just steaming it and eating it plain.  Since I still have a large brick of parmesan cheese, I wanted something creamy and cheesy and this recipe fits the bill.    It's also nice to freeze it and reheating for later, which I did, because of the huge pot of soup I had left over.    This recipe was handy to help me use leftover homemade onion soup (left over from a previous soup making day) and homemade broth that was also frozen.

Ingredients:
6 cups Chicken Broth
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bunches fresh broccoli, chopped (about 8 cups)
3 large potatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 4 1/2 cups)
1 large onion, sliced
1 3/4 cups milk
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Heat the broth, black pepper, garlic, broccoli, potatoes and onion in a large pot over high heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low.
Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Remove the saucepot from the heat.
Place 1/2 of the broth mixture into a blender or food processor.
Cover and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a medium bowl. Repeat the blending process with the remaining broth mixture.
Return all of the puréed mixture to the saucepot.
Stir in the milk and cheese. Cook over medium heat until mixture is hot.
Ladle into a bowl, sprinkle with some cheese and serve.

Stay hungry my friend.