Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Why is Wanda at the Bar?

Why is Wanda at the bar?
I need to come to this bar to unwind after a crazy day at work.  I work in an office and I’m stuck in a cubicle all day fielding calls, typing reports, there is little interaction outside my walls.  I try to avoid people and just do my job.  I don’t want to get involved in the water cooler talk.  It just takes so much time an energy when you sit around and gossip.  I know this, since one of my co-workers absolutely hates me.  She starts her day by trying to insert herself into my job.  Sipping her coffee, she peers at me from above her rim with wicked eyes.  I wonder how she will mess with me today.  I need to check in with her, since I am supposed to report to her.  But I try my best to avoid her, and if I am in a situation where I do have to talk to her, I find some way to entertain myself by messing with her.  I know it’s not right, but there is no way this person should be my superior.  Every Wednesday we have a staff meeting after lunch, which drags on endlessly for hours.  I usually go out to lunch at a nearby restaurant, where we normally hang out after work.  I contemplate having a drink with lunch today, I know it’s going to be a bad one, but I don’t, I decide to just leave work early and hit happy hour at my favorite bar, where everybody knows my name.  I know the bartender, he knows my drink.  I love walking into the bar and the bartender or  waitress says “the usual”.  It’s comfort, it’s calm.

Why do I want to talk to him?