Thursday, April 21, 2011

Roasted Red Onions and Tomatoes

I love red onions!  Maybe it's that spicy sweetness that it adds to a dish, or the tender crunch you get at the first bite.  Whatever it is, I use them a lot in place of regular onions.  But this recipe actually called for red onions, so I was very happy. 

Ingredients:
8 Roma (plum) tomatoes
2 red onions
2 tablespoons of chopped garlic
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
Cut the tomatoes into quarters lengthwise and place them on a lightly oiled baking tray.
Cut off the tops of the onions and peel.
Cut each onion into eight wedges an place on baking tray.
Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
Roast for 1 hour.
Remove from oven and plate. 
In a bowl, place vinegars, mustard, garlic and oil, whisk until emulsified.  Drizzle over vegetables and serve.
Garnish as desired.  (I used some chives that I have growing on my patio)

Stay hungry my friend!