Tuesday, March 15, 2011

St. Patrick's Day food

I love that week in March, right before 03/17.  Our local grocery store stocks up on Corned Beef and I go there everyday and buy the maximum I can.  Yes, I love me some Corned Beef.  The first night it's cooked per this recipe, but I use the leftovers to make sandwiches and enjoy the meat as a morning snack.  This recipe was fun to make, as I've never added beer to my St. Pat's delicacy.

Follow this link in case you want to learn more about St. Patrick's Day!


Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (4-5 lb.) Corned beef brisket, trimmed of fat (with packet of spices)
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup Beef broth
Water
2 tablespoons Honey
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 head Green cabbage, cut into 4-6 wedges
4 large Onions, peeled, cut in half
2 cups of baby carrots
5 large Potatoes, peeled, chopped into 1 inch pieces
8 ounces lager

Directions
Heat a large pot on medium-high heat.
Add olive oil. Sear meat on all sides.
Reduce heat to medium.
Add garlic, stir to prevent burning.
Deglaze the pot by adding the beef broth.
Add the spice packet to the pot.
Fill the pot with enough water to cover the meat half way up the sides. Add honey, mustard, cabbage, onions, carrots and potatoes. Partially cover the pot with the lid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours.
Taste for salt, add as needed.
Add lager and continue to cook for another 40 minutes to one hour.

Stay hungry my friend!