Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Whiskey pork loin

Cooking with liquor is always an intriguing possibility for me. Sure I've heard of using wine but or cognac, but scotch or Jack Daniels, always a risk. A risk, because then I won't have anything to drink when I want some JD and cola.  The last time I marinated meat in whiskey (see Whiskey Tri-Tip) I only marinated the meat for 3 hours, and it left the meat a little lacking of flavor.  But this time, I left the pork loin over night and the meat was very flavorful, and Piggy2 could swear he could smell the liquor. 

This recipe also gave me the chance to finally buy a pork loin.  An eight pound pork loin, at least a foot and a half long.  I searched for a variety of recipes of what to do with this behemoth of meat, as I didn't want to waste this porcine goodness on just one recipe.

Ingredients
Marinating in Jack Daniels
1/2 cup Jack Daniels whiskey
1 tablespoon Mediterranean sea salt
2 tablespoons mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 /4 cup honey
1 (2-pound) pork loin, cut into 1 1/2-inch thick pieces

Directions
In a shallow dish, mix together all ingredients.
Add the pork loin and let marinate overnight.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Transfer the pork to a hot heavy-bottomed skillet and saute until browned, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the pan to oven and finish cooking for 4 minutes.

Stay hungry my friend!