Thursday, February 24, 2011

Watermelon Feta Salad

Again another pairing that I would never try, but was pleasantly surprised when I placed the first bite in my mouth.  With a huge watermelon on the verge of going bad, and eating just slices again didn't seem appealing, this recipe was a find.  I also had a huge bunch of mint (leftover from another recipe) left to use, since I couldn't pass up the bargain I found at 2 bunches for $1!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon Tabasco (or your favorite hot sauce, mine is Red Hot)
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 pounds seedless watermelon
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup mint leaves
2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)

Directions:
Cut the flesh from the melon and cut into bite size pieces, removing and discarding the seeds.
Set aside and chill (the melon, not you).
In a large bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, salt, Tabasco and pepper.
Add the watermelon, onion and feta and toss gently. Garnish with the mint and serve.


Stay hungry my friend!