Thursday, January 20, 2011

Whiskey Tri-Tip

Instead of just cooking up a plain tri-tip, I needed a new recipe.  Looking on my favorite site, the Food Network, I found just the thing.  Usually when I cook, I try not to have to leave the house, so this worked out almost perfect.  I only had to substitute one thing.

In case you need to know general recipe substitutes.

Ingredients

2 1/2 pounds tri-tip steak
2 tablespoons prime rib seasoning salt 
1 cup whiskey (I had some Jack Daniel's lying around)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (substitute white vinegar 1:1)

Directions

Rinse steak and pat dry.
Cover and pat tri-tip with the seasoning salt .
Put in a large resealable container pour in whiskey and vinegar to coat meat.
Marinate in refrigerator for 1 to 3 hours (since this is the first time trying this recipe, I only marinated for 1 hour)

For the Oven:
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Remove steak from refrigerator, let come to room temperature.
Remove the meat from the marinade. Discard the marinade. Place the tri-tip, fat-side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast for 30 minutes, then begin checking the internal temperature on an instant-read thermometer: for medium-rare, 135 to 140 degrees F and 140 to 145 degrees F for medium.
Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.

You can also cook this on the grill.  Remove the meat from the marinade. Discard the marinade. 
Heat the grill.  Place the steak on a hot oiled grill and cook 30 to 35 minutes per side for medium or until internal temperature reaches 145 to 150 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
Serve while still warm.

Stay hungry my friend!