Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Sopes. Yes, I know how to spell. Sopes=Masa Boats

Seeing these pre-made dough dishes, I thought for sure there would be recipes abound online.  But finding anything related to sopes took some time.  Once I did find the recipes, they gave me a new perspective on these intriguing Mexican ingredients.  I never thought of it, but they are just like tortillas, you can fill them with your ingredient of choice.  Sopes are a delicious and easy alternatives to your boring old tortilla.

Ingredients:
1 lb of ground beef
1 can (15 oz) black beans
2 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
2 tbsp of minced garlic
Shredded Mexican blend cheese
Tomatillo sauce
Olive oil

In a large pan, brown ground beef, season with salt and pepper.  Remove beef from pan and set aside.  In the same pan place garlic, black beans and diced tomatoes.   Cook for 5 minutes and add cooked ground beef, reduce heat to keep warm.  Heat 2 tbsp of oil and place sopes in pan.  Take a handful of shredded cheese and place on top of sopes.  Let cheese melt.  Top with tomatillo sauce and meat and bean mixture and eat!  Sopes are best eaten when they are just out of the pan with the masa still hot and crispy.

I used pre-made sopes, so I'll include some links on how to make them if you feel so inclined (I may do that next time).