Saturday, August 7, 2010

S'mores

During the summer my friends and I head up to the mountains to escape the heat of L.A.  The camp mom sends out a list of what will be needed for the weekend.  Who'll bring what for breakfast? Who's cooking lunch? and no we are not eating anything from a can heated over the fire! 

Backstory: camp mom insists on real meals like steak and potatoes or eggs and bacon, one of the guys insists that only bringing canned food and heating it up over the fire will reduce on cleaning and cuts down on prep time, every time we start planning a very long email fight starts, and we usually end up eating very well

I usually pick bringing all the snacks and beer. So much easier... chips, dip, S'mores!  Sticky and gooey, and loaded with sugar and carbs, S'mores are nothing short of delicious.  Did you know s’mores actually got its name from the phrase “some more”?  The first recorded version of the recipe can be found in the publication "Tramping and Trailing with the Girl Scouts" of 1927.  It is unknown whether the Girl Scouts were the first to make and enjoy s'mores, but there appears to be no earlier claim to this snack.  

I remember the first time I went shopping for the ingredients, I could not find large marshmallows anywhere, all that I found were the tiny ones, and even pink ones. 





The thought of grilling up those fluffy white pockets of goodness, then smooshing them between layers of chocolate and graham cracker...nothing beats that. 

Or so I thought until I found a recipe for a s'more milkshake!!  This was perfect, I could have that campfire experience and didn't have to leave the comfort of my living room.  The recipe from Alison of Ingredients Inc. is as easy as can be, and you will definitely want more.  It combines all the classic s’more ingredients of graham crackers, chocolate ice cream, mixed with chocolate milk and top with roasted (or broiled) mini marshmallows.  I think I'll try mine with fat-free chocolate milk (or if you're lactose intolerant chocolate soy milk) and I'm sure I can find some low fat chocolate ice cream. 

To show your love for the s'more, visit the Kraft site for more recipes and s'more fun. 

I'll save the big marshmallows for the campfire.  So get the blender out, and start scooping.   

Stay hungry my friend!

Sidebar: Something I just thought of while writing this article, I usually call them s'mores, even when I'm talking about just one.  But it should be noted that there is a singular s'more and the plural s'mores.